Monday, January 27, 2014

Who Watches the Watchers

As a nerd it is expected that I have seen certain movies, shows, series, etc.  An example of this expectation is the movie Watchmen. I have only ever really heard of this movie/universe in passing with the standard blue phallis jokes of the famous Dr. Manhattan. Aside from Rorchach and Dr. Manhattan's physical appearances I didn't know jack squat about it. Last night I was flipping channels when I saw that Watchmen had just started and I began watching a little. Holy crap was this a cool movie. Not only were the special effects great, it was incredibly self-aware for a super hero movie, including little tid-bits of slapstick humour that gave it a great charm.  Also, having watched Household Hacker on Youtube, I have the know-how to make a killer Rorchach mask for Halloween and Dragon*Con.

Having finally watched this paragon of nerd movies, it got me thinking of all of the movies, games, and series I haven't seen or played that I probably should have. This is mostly true for games I feel, because I don't like to play a huge number, and I usually just cycle between my top 10. The list of games I can think of include the following: Bioshock, World of Warcraft, Resident Evil, Zelda Windwaker, Dragon Age, and several more not immediately coming to mind.

The example I catch the most flack for stems from the fact that I am a HUGE Trekie! However, I have never watched the original star trek series... "Blasphemy!" is something I have heard, but I have a difficult time watching any shows from the sixties or earlier. Also, I have a hard time believing any Captain could be a better leader than "Captain Jon-Luc Picard of the Federation Starship Enterprise"! I have seen and very much enjoyed J.J. Abrams remake movies of the original series, and I am an avid wiki reader on the fandoms I enjoy, so I definitely have a good understanding of the major plot points and especially the characters. I simply have not sat down to watch that series.

If you have a recommendation for your favorite Sci-fi or really any type of movie or series, let me know what I should be watching!


"We are all puppets, I am just a puppet who sees the strings." - Dr. Manhattan

No comments:

Post a Comment