Sunday, January 19, 2014

Green Astronauts From Outer Space

When I was a kid, I wanted to be an astronaut. And not like every other kid, I seriously expected when I was younger I would be in space at some point in my future. That dream ended up not coming true when I was diagnosed with diabetes at age twelve, but I have not lost my adoration of science and astrology. I picked up a game a while back after watching some gameplay from Duncan from the Yogscast on the Youtubes is Kerbal Space Program.

This game has improved my understanding of orbital mechanics more than any textbook ever could. Given this game has to seriously simplify the advanced calculations required to put an object in orbit, it is still one of the most challenging actions you can do without a lot of help from the internet. From designing a rocket to testing it on the launch pad to launching Jebediah Kermin into the ground at Mach two, this game very well may be the closest I will get to working for a space agency. If you are any bit as nerdy as I am, you have to add this game to your collection. It is available on Steam for around $20 US and periodically goes on sale for much less. It is a game that is still in development, and each update makes the game better and better. 

A small overview: You are the only decision maker over a small green species known as Kerbals on their home planet of Kerbin. Orbiting Kerbin are two moons: Mün and Minimus. In the Kerbol system there are several planets going from nearest the star to the furthest: Moho, Eve, Kerbin, Duna, Dres, Jool (with five moons) and Eeloo. Getting from Kerbin to these other bodies takes more than a green smile. With some research, hard work, and dedication you will find this game can be the most fun you can have committing genocide on a small, green alien race.

Fly Safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment