Friday, January 17, 2014

Prepared for Mayhem

I have dreams. I mean we all do, but I have dreams of driving in the car when the emergency broadcast signal blares those ridiculous digital klaxon alarms, and I hear garbled messages of "rabies" and "outbreak". A smile creeps across my face. A sly grin at first, but leads to a broad grin. Zombies. I know, I am really, incredibly odd, but I find the idea of a zombie apocalypse to be a welcome new era. I have had many dreams of zombies. Some of them I am in a military group and we tactically and efficiently wreak through the zombie horde. My most recent dream was really odd though, and I am convinced it has something to do with all of the Last of Us I have been playing. (Definitely pick that up by the way. Thank me later.) But in this dream I was in the form of adolescent teenager. Oh, and I happened to be female. (Wouldn't Freud have a field day)

This has been the only dream I have ever had as a member of the opposite gender. I was in a group of two, the other was an older woman, maybe late twenties, and to put it frankly: we were totally bad ass. Destroying loads of the undead with, blade and gun, however the dream ended when my partner and I were being run down by what I can only assume was a group of raiders. I am sure we all know the fate of teenage girls when captured by raiders. The dream never got to that point, nor even close, yet the fear I experienced was absolutely real. Cold terror in every bone in my body. Once I awoke, felt the hair on my chin and the square in my jaw, I remembered who and what I was, but the fear, although distant, was still there somewhere. I eventually shook it, but it got me thinking. I am a man. A relatively strong man I like to believe. Even when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I never had a feeling of helplessness like I had in that dream. 

It has made me re-think slightly my idea of the zombie apocalypse. I still think as I am it would be a completely survivable experience for a while at least. I have firearms, ammunition, the skill to use both, medical and food supplies, etc. It could even be fun in a sadistic kind of way. The weird hangup I have had though is the effect the zombie apocalypse would have on people who cannot defend themsleves. Who do not have the capacity to kill/outrun a group of raiders. It may be what psycologists call a Messiah complex, but I have to believe that I would be driven to seek out those who would do harm to those helpless teenage girls, and destroy them all. The reason I don't dawn a cowl and cape and roam the streets now is that behavior is typically frowned upon by law enforcement groups. The reason we don't have vigilante heros is because they either get caught by the law or killed by thugs. 

Anyway, I'm not sure what this all means and maybe its just some shitty story I have decided to post on the good old interwebs, but I still think back on that dream even though it was over a month ago. Well I hope those of you who decide to read my word vomit enjoy it, or even decide to tell me what you think one way or the other. I am done talking for the day and I will talk to you again tomorrow.


Caldwell out.

No comments:

Post a Comment