Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Let's Play Pretend

Geekdom. This field encompasses quite a wide variety of subjects. Most, if not all of these subjects are demonstarated in one form or fashion at the greatest place on earth: Dragon*Con. I say Dragon*Con is the greatest place on earth because I have never been to any other cons, and D*Con is right here in Atlanta where I live. One of the most facinating and fun hobbies my fellow nerds and I undertake while at any type of Con is the noble art of cosplay.

Movies, shows, comics, cartoons, video games, books, or the world of imagination are all sources of inspiration for the cosplayer. I have seen everything from Jedi to Medieval Batman. From Twi'leks to Klingons, princesses, Stormtroopers, asari, Khaleesi, X men, superman, and many, many more. There is no law or rule that states you must cosplay if you go to a Con, but I would highly recommend it! Even if you think your cosplay idea is unoriginal or overused, you can use just a bit of imagination, tweak the idea slightly, and you have a whole different spin. Take Medeival batman for example. Batman in its own right, is a great costume. But so mant other people will be dressed as batman! Is there not only one Caped Crusader? Well this Caped Crusader may have actually battled the armies of Islam to reclaim the Holy Land of Gotham City. Really though, I love this idea and its something that with a little time and dedication can really make your Con a better experience.

Some people can use a simpler idea to make fun costumes. For the past two years I have gone to Dragon*Con as the Lone Wanderer from Vault 101. If you are unfamiliar with this character, it is from the game Fallout 3, a game that too many have forgotten about and is still freaking awesome! Admitedly, I have grown a tad boerd of the same costume and I have been thinking about tweaking the idea. But what can I do to tweak a post apocalyptic, futuristc, character that was born in a glorified basement and fights mutant insect and raiders? Well Steampunk of course! If you don't know about Steampunk, I wil have another post about it in the future, but in a short and sweet description, Steampunk is what modern and futuristic technology would look like if it were steam powered and built in the Victorian era. The picture to the right is just one example of the fashion styke if your typical Steampunker, but you can Google for much more reference.

But ya, I think I am going to end it there. Do yourselves a favor. If you go to Dragon*Con, Comic*Con or (insert nerdy thing here)*Con. Cosplay while you're there. And if you are boering, unoriginal or a spoil sport, at least wear a nerdy T-shirt of some kind. If you go there looking to have fun, you'll have fun. And the opposite is also true.



Beam me up Scotty.

No comments:

Post a Comment